According to the Dailymail
, Dr Derek Keilloh today faced a General Medical Council hearing for his part in helping to cover-up the death of Iraqi hotel receptionist Baha Mousa.
The a father-of-two was seen by Dr Keilloh following his arrest by soldiers from the 1st battalion, Queen's Lancashire Regiment (QLR), in a swoop for insurgents around Basra during the Iraq war eight years ago.
The doctor reported seeing 'dried blood' around the nose of the 26-year-old who had been hooded, handcuffed and badly beaten after being pulled into the Army detention centre in the southern Iraqi city.
His body was swollen and bruised and his injuries included fractured ribs and a broken nose.
Dr Keilloh, who at the time was a Captain and Regimental Medical Officer for the QLR, supervised a failed resuscitation attempt of the shirtless Mr Mousa in a desperate bid to save the his life.
But the doctor has always maintained he did not see the victim’s catalogue of injuries and therefore did not consciously attempt to conceal anything.
Dr Keilloh is appearing before the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service, a new arm of the GMC that deals with allegations of misconduct against doctors.
The British Army medic denies dishonesty and misconduct in his treatment of Mr Mousa and other detainees.
Rebecca Poulet QC, counsel for the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) opening the case, said Dr Keilloh failed to examine Mousa, then did not check the condition of other detainees or notify senior officers about the mistreatment.
Instead, she said, four times 'under oath' Dr Keilloh maintained he did not see the injuries to Mousa’s battered body following mistreatment while in the custody of QLR soldiers.
Mrs Poulet said: 'The events span just about three days, but the doctor’s subsequent and more recent conduct is also criticised for his repeated failure to describe this incident with the openness and honesty that is expected of a doctor.'
The tribunal heard Dr Keilloh was just 28 at the time of the incident and new to his post, having been in the job only eight weeks.
After a 'very short' handover, he took over the medical team of the QLR at their HQ in the former headquarters of the Saddam Hussein’s Ba’ath Party in Basra City.
Operation Salerno was launched by the QLR against Saddam Hussein loyalists in the city and on September 14, 2003 Mousa and other detainees were brought in for questioning.
It was common practice, the tribunal heard, for detainees to be handcuffed with plastic cable cuffs and hooded with a sandbag.
It was also told that prisoners, including Mousa, were checked at the time and none reported injuries or illness before detention.
Mrs Poulet said: 'He was to die the following day as a result of the injuries inflicted on him by the soldiers guarding him and a final violent incident on the night of September 15.'